Sunday 28 December 2014

Keep Trying

I am still finding my way around the Nikon P300 and experimenting with settings in poor light situations to try and improve the results of my Digiscoping. The seven frames a second capability means there are a lot of pictures taken, but there are usually a couple of keepers.

I was particularly pleased with these Nuthatch pictures, taken at RSPB Middleton as a pair fed on seed placed on top of a short fence post.

Video Grabs

In really poor light or with a constantly moving target taking a video of the subject and then grabbing stills from it is often the best way to secure a record shot. I gave it a go with the Nuthatches, and these results are straight out of the camera with no editing. I used the App "SnapStill" to grab the stills.

Not bad at all for record shots.

A couple of days later, in poor light and at range I tried to Digiscope some very nervous and spooky Goosander on the River Tame. I couldn't get close to them. They also spent very little time in one place or above the surface of the water. An ideal opportunity to try to capture something resembling a record shot using video. As I have said before, it's practicing with these more common birds that helps ensure you have an idea what to do when confronted with something a little rarer.

Video Grab - 60 Yards
Video Grab - Submerge.

 

I ended up finding a a spot where I could remain concealed from the Goosander in the hope one would move closer to me. Eventually, I got one to within 40 yards. I managed to fire off about a dozen shots before it spotted me, dived, and moved off. This was the best of them.

40 Yards
Some birds are much easier to Digiscope.
40 Yards
As far as Digiscoping with the Nikon P300 goes, I'm learning all the time and enjoying the challenge, and enjoyment is what it's all about.
40 Yards

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.