Tuesday 22 July 2014

The Best Camera is .........

There is an old saying to do with photography that you hear time and time again.

"The best camera is the one you have with you."

I'm most cases, that camera is the one in our smartphone. Smartphone manufactures invest more and more money into research geared towards improving the images these little cameras can produce, and these days, they really can deliver the goods. Photography competitions have been won with entries taken with smartphones and now, smartphone photography competitions are becoming more popular.

So, I enjoy taking pictures and usually use my Canon bridge camera and my phone through my spotting scope when birdwatching. Today, I decided to just use the camera in my pocket and see how it performed in different situations. Close ups, moving subjects, portraits and landscape/sunsets.

To be honest, the day started in my back garden. My chicken coop was due its annual strip down and deep clean. I need a hot dry day for this to allow it to completely dry in a few hours. The Chooks make interesting subjects, so that's where I began.

A few of my garden, and the finished clean Coop.

While tidying up and moving things about, I found a Common Frog that posed for a picture.

And then, I turned my attention to some Bees that were busy collecting nectar and pollen.

I was quite pleased with these pictures from my phone. So, later in the day when it had cooled down, I took my dog for a walk and decided to take the scope too.

We ended up walking along the canal.

 

I noticed some Swallows on the wires, so set the scope up and took these through it using the phone.

Heading back towards the car, I tried a few sunset shots.

Even though I seem to be using my iPhone more and more for photography, it still sometimes surprises me just how versatile it is. I'm under no illusions, a dedicated camera will out perform a phone. However, remember how this blog entry started, "The best camera is the one you have with you."

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.